Wednesday 2 November 2011

My Battle with Creativity

My Battle with Creativity


I would like to begin by telling you that I am in no way a professional writer. In fact I am quite amateurish at that. I decided to write this while sitting on the toilet no less. This a sort of account , is my quest to express my ever expanding creative mindset. Always adrift in motionless moments within my mind, trying to fit them together as if they were piece of my own jigsaw reality. A puzzle not yet complete as I suspect it is a metaphor for my life. But chiefly, and at the heart of my tale is one of struggle. The time period is my life and I am its battlefield, on which I wage war within myself to find just what it is I am meant to do with my creative nature.

The battle began when I was sitting in our local Recreation Centre watching my best friend play pool. We were listening to Metallica at the time and I remember being severely influenced by music. By this time in my life the seeds of musicianship had already been planted and I was playing along to my favorites bagging pillows with my drumsticks. Not much went on at the Recreation Centre. We listened to heavy music and played pool. This was routine for two summers but something was about to happen. . The hours of Metallica and Pool blossomed into my best friend serenading the ladies with his tab by the minute guitar skills. I felt like an idiot standing there with only two drum sticks in my pocket, watching my friend play to the amazement of our female counterparts. I was smart enough to know that any attempt at displaying a musical accompaniment with only two pieces of wood... would look ridiculous. The gears were in motion, and so began the conflict. It was time to learn how to play the guitar.

When I mastered the guitar to my satisfaction it began to solidify the creativity inside of me. For the first time in my life I could call myself an artist of sorts. The guitar I wielded became my first real weapon. Though it was a damaged old Yamaha, it bore the characteristics of a family sword handed down, bearing the scars of conflict. It allowed me to channel emotions that I could not really express or control before my new-found effective, creative outlet came to be. While I was honing my skills and my need for spontaneous creation most of my friends were reading through tab books learning how to play other peoples songs. It was almost early gained fame for some of those guys but I wanted to use my ever growing arsenal of riffs and runs for a greater purpose. Five years of diligent practice were dedicated to this purpose.

Unfortunately, But my struggle to find a proper device of creative delivery continued because as music and the creation of, became a stale game.

After those years of musical driven internal combustion, I found myself adrift in my mind. It seemed that my art became internal self distraction. I became numb having few ways to better interpret my creative desires. I never really was effective just sitting around thinking all the time. My walls adorned with articulate “Mind Paintings” rooted in the reality offered by depression.

Music had faded from my life but my creative impulses continued to manifest themselves in the form of casual conversation and sporadic rage. I was no longer waging the same kind of war. There was something very personal about everything that was happening around me. I became attached to moments as if they were the canvas upon which I thrust every emotion . My mind morphed into a strategic center for random inspiration, rather than brutal power cord driven cannon fire. The conflict is still within, but no longer limited to my potential as I turn my sights to the UnTHINKable. Now I find myself sitting down and writing just what it is I was thinking when I was sitting on the porcelain throne.

And this is where is rest my condition. It is my first attempt at sharing with you an important part of my struggle to find what it is I am meant to do with existence. To find something I can bring with me to battle every-day when I face the challenges of my imagination. Something beyond what I think of writing while in the bathroom. This is only but a small offering and I would like to bring you more from time to time, as I test my feel, and developing need to write, to tell, and to share something with all of you.

Vice

Please Visit


No comments:

Post a Comment